Tri 70.3 week 4 – mid-week review

After Sunday’s Blenheim Tri, I wanted a rest day on Monday but did a treadmill run for 45 minutes so as to not fall off my training plan completely. The problem was that I’d forgoten to set my Garmin to indoor use and it managed to track me running a little over a mile via GPS. D’oh.

After lunch, I finally got around to announcing which charity I’d be supporting for Challenge Weymouth Half. I’ve chosen The Eve Appeal. Find out why on my Fundraising page.

Monday evening is normally STC swim session. However, I was feeling lethargic so decided to spend the evening at home. I felt a little guilty but ultimately, it was the right decision.

To relieve my guilt (none really), I chose to set my alarm for 5:20am on Tuesday morning and head to Eastleigh Lakes for the Try Tri swim session.

I arrived at 6am and was one of the first in the car park. As an experiment, I thought that I’d record a quick video of myself. I don’t think it’ll be something I do regularly. Lucky for my readers! Note that I gave the wrong date for Challenge Weynouth in the video.

To save time, I already had my wetsuit on (as I drive down, a Police car with flashing lights went by. For a moment, I thought it was going to stop me and I’d have fun explaining my strange attire. Fortunately, it carried on past.

Having walked down to ‘registration’, I signed in with Becky before walking to the lake. It looked very inviting (appearances can be deceptive eh?)


Once I’d dropped off my rucksack, put on my swim cap and goggles, it was time to ‘take the plunge’.

The water temperature was reported to be between 18 and 19 deg C and as I got in, it did feel warm. With good weather forecast for the next fortnight, it may not be long until wetsuits are banned. Eek!

Prior to the session, I’d decided to swim 5 laps and that’s what I did. As each lap is 350m, that’s a total of 1750m. Almost the distance I have to swim for Challenge Weymouth Half.

At the end of the first lap, I spoke with Chris Leech who congratulated me on my QBR day and the media coverage. He also thanked me for helping to change his, and his wife’s lives. My pleasure Chris.

The rest of the swim was uneventful and I got out at about 6:50am before heading home in my swim shorts (jammers) and a t-shirt.

My plan for the rest of the day consisted of a 45 minute cycle ride in Z2 and a 15 minute Z2 run. Although it was tempting to drop one of these sessions having already swum, I was good and stuck to plan.

The ride was a little shorter than I planned as I changed my route due to some traffic on route that looked like it might cause a few issues. The tapping sound I’d hoped had been resolved with new pedals and reverting back to my original saddle reappeared about 15 minutes into the ride. So annoying.

After the ride, it was a quick transition into running great for a 15 minute run. Nothing particularly exciting about the run. It was hot and after Sunday’s event it was good to get some more hot weather running experience.

While I was out, donations started to flood in and I’d reached 1/3rd of the way to my £500 target in 24 hours of my fundraising page going live. Wow!

And that brings me to this morning. It’s 5:25am and I’m at Fleming Park for my STC swim session. But more about that later in the week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s